[MEI-L] @trans.diat and @trans.semi

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Sat Feb 11 23:26:25 CET 2012

Hi, Craig, Mike, everyone,

Thanks for jumping in.

It's a good idea to use written pitch in MEI because 1) it's the only thing naive encoders (human and mechanical) know about the notation and 2) MusicXML is often the source of MEI data.  BTW, if I remember correctly, the MusicXML documentation says that pitch should be encoded at sounding pitch, but in practice most implementations use written pitch.

However, MEI doesn't have to limited to encoding written pitch -- there must to be a way of stating whether the document captures written pitch (with transposition to concert pitch) or vice versa.  So, I propose adding another attribute (trans.method, trans.dir, or similar name) that takes the values "toConcert" or "toWritten" in order to capture the "state of the data" as Craig called it, as well as the target.  The assumption is that "toConcert" means that the data is captured "asWritten" and vice versa.  Even though I agree with Mike that encoding written pitch is a better starting point, the extra attribute permits MuseData-style, concert pitch encodings too.

With the addition of this new attribute, in the case of the Bb clarinet, trans.diat and trans.semi can accommodate the values "1" and "2" or "-1" and "-2", depending on the pitch-encoding style.

The presence of any of the @trans* attributes is contextual.  Of course, a non-transposing staff won't use them at all.  If a diatonic transposition is desired, as Craig pointed out, @trans.diat and @trans.semi must both be given.  However, if a base-12 MIDI pitch is enough, only @trans.semi is necessary.  However, if @trans.diat or @trans.semi is present, @trans.dir must be present.  The bottom line is that all these attributes must be optional and the context of their use controlled by schematron.

Perry Roland
Music Library

University of Virginia
P. O. Box 400175