[MEI-L] @dur on <fTrem> and <bTrem>

Johannes Kepper kepper at edirom.de
Sat Jan 7 08:23:59 CET 2012

Am 04.01.2012 um 20:09 schrieb Roland, Perry (pdr4h):

> Adding @dur on <fTrem> and <bTrem>, or more precisely, making them members of the att.duration.musical and att.augmentdots classes, is ok with me.
>
> Doing so would make these elements consistent with the <chord> element; that is, as an encoding shortcut, @dur can be placed on the <fTrem> or <bTrem> parent element instead of on the child <note> or <chord> elements.
>
> But, because these attributes can't be disallowed on the child elements (they're needed when <note> and <chord> occur outside of <fTrem> and <bTrem> of course), it will be valid for @dur and @dots to occur in either or both places.  Perhaps schematron rules could be created that disallow @dur and @dots on the child elements when they exist on the parent.

I wonder if we really want to disallow these attributes on the child elements. I have no access to Read etc. currently, but if I remember correctly, at least one of them allows chords to contain notes with differing length. I'm not sure if I would like to follow this argumentation, but I don't think that MEI should disallow such a situation. I'm perfectly happy to address this in the Guidelines and make sure that this would be a rather uncommon and unexpected situation, but although Schematron certainly can suppress @dur within chords and trems, I wouldn't recommend it.

Just my two drachma…
Johannes