[MEI-L] ensemble

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Wed Oct 26 16:47:55 CEST 2011

Patient, raising arm:  "Doctor, it hurts when I go like this."
Doctor: "Don't do that!"

In the case you describe, you shouldn't use <ensemble>.  To enumerate the performing forces without naming the ensemble, use the following instead --

<perfMedium>
  <performer>
    <instrVoice>violin</instrVoice>
  </performer>
  <performer>
    <instrVoice>viola</instrVoice>
  </performer>
  <performer>
    <instrVoice>violoncello</instrVoice>
  </performer>
</perfMedium>

If you want to name the ensemble, use --

<perfMedium>
  <ensemble>String trio</ensemble>
</perfMedium>

<ensemble> and <performer> can be combined within <perfMedium> when the work is for an ensemble and soloists --

<perfMedium>
  <ensemble>
    <instrVoice>Orchestra</instrVoice>
  </ensemble>
  <performer>
    <instrVoice>Soprano</instrVoice>
  </performer>
  <performer>
    <instrVoice>Tenor</instrVoice>
  </performer>
</performer>

or within <ensemble> when capture of the exact make-up of the ensemble is desired --

<perfMedium>
  <ensemble>
    <instrVoice>Chamber orchestra</instrVoice>
    <performer>
      <instrVoice>Flute</instrVoice>
    </performer>
    <performer>
      <instrVoice>Oboe</instrVoice>
    </performer>
    <performer>
      <instrVoice>Bassoon</instrVoice>
    </performer>
    <performer>
      <instrVoice>Horn</instrVoice>
    </performer>
    <performer>
      <instrVoice>Violin I</instrVoice>
    </performer>
    <performer>
      <instrVoice>Violin II</instrVoice>
    </performer>
    <performer>
      <instrVoice>Violin III</instrVoice>
    </performer>
    <performer>
      <instrVoice>Violincello</instrVoice>
    </performer>
    <performer>
      <instrVoice>Bass</instrVoice>
    </performer>
  </ensemble>

<instrVoice> is always required within <ensemble>, but <performer> within ensemble is optional.

Perry Roland
Music Library
University of Virginia
P. O. Box 400175