[MEI-L] Notation type

Peter Stadler stadler at edirom.de
Wed Sep 21 17:50:38 CEST 2011

Am 21.09.2011 um 15:51 schrieb Raffaele Viglianti:

> My point wanted to be that by generalizing this idea to MEI (which has already been done with several other (non-)bibliographical aspects), it would be nice to have in the header a place where to define/describe all the type of notation styles present in the document (regardless of its source; ms, print, born digital) and be able to specify within the document which style is in use at what point.

I think we are in total agreement. My only concern was where exactly in the header to put that information -- and I confess that I'm a bit wary with the tei:msDesc because I think there is way too much information collected there that doesn't belong there (when you are not a historian working (solely) with the description of manuscripts).
So, thanks for mentioning born digital documents which offer a good criterion for where to put this information. In my opinion, sourcedesc stays empty for born digital documents (except an appropriate statement "born digital ...") but all the bibliographic information is recorded in the other descendants of filedesc. Ergo, the type of notation should not (solely) be recorded under source/classification.

All the best
Peter

PS: I'm still not convinced that the notation style is a bibliographic feature. Anyhow, isn't that an anachronistic cataloguers view? Shouldn't we try to see the texts behind the bibliographic items? ;-)