[MEI-L] Notation type

Peter Stadler stadler at edirom.de
Wed Sep 21 13:37:09 CEST 2011

Dear all,

some comments to the discussion:
1. I disagree with Raffaele that the tei:msDesc is a good example ;-) Roughly, I'd prefer to put information about the notation type (somewhere) into profileDesc rather than sourceDesc. In my opinion it's not necessarily part of "a bibliographic description of a source" but belongs to the "non-bibliographic aspects". E.g. in Bach's autograph BWV 998 he switches (due to lack of space) from standard piano notation to keyboard tablature (I found an image at http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/53/998p4allegroiw6.gif/). The point I'm trying to make is that the change of notation is (or at least can be) a textual rather than a bibliographic feature.
2. As a textual feature it will not nest properly with other features so it'd be good to have appropriate milesteone elements to deal with these shifts (well, maybe handshift suffices?)
3. TEI differentiates between "script" (only applicable in msDesc) and "scribe" (aka "hand") which is available within msDesc and profileDesc/handNotes. As far as I can tell from the online MEI schema at music-encoding.org the mei:handlist is only available within source/physdesc. Maybe the TEI distinction between script as a bibliographic feature and scribe as a textual feature isn't that bad and can be ported to MEI?

All the best
Peter