[MEI-L] Notation type

Andrew Hankinson, Mr andrew.hankinson at mail.mcgill.ca
Tue Sep 20 07:05:51 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I've been looking through the documentation and I cannot seem to find a method (element or attribute) for specifying the type of notation being encoded.

We have modules for mensural, tablature, neumes, etc., but once the schema is constructed from these modules there seems to be no way of specifying the type of notation used. It seems that the type of notation can only be derived implicitly by looking at the elements and attributes present in the encoding.

There is the "@type" attribute on some possible candidate elements (<score />, for example), but that seems like it's meant to be generic and can be used for just about anything.

This seems like it should be possible, but I can't find it. Have I missed something?

Thanks,
-Andrew