[MEI-L] Colla parte

Joachim Veit veit at weber-gesamtausgabe.de
Tue Sep 6 22:38:59 CEST 2011

Dear Eleanor, Perry and Raffaele,
thanks a lot for this helpful discussion (or the beginning of a
discussion for release 2013/05 ?)
<quote resp="Perry">"Enough to think about for the weekend?"</quote>
Perry, you see that this was for more than one weekend ;-) , and please
excuse the late answer.

1. First I think that for the first we can live with your proposal of
using <choice> together with orig/reg or abbr/expan.
For a longer term we should, maybe, prefer to have your <ggsapih>
("go-get-something-and-put-it-here") or something generic - not <copyOf>
but something in Raffaele's sense: <goCopy> (go and copy the measure below).
Concerning <reg> and <expan> I normally understand them as giving the
"resolved abbreviation" in the form a "today's user" is used to, e.g. a
fully expanded form of a half note with a stroke through the stem (as a
mark for repetition of four eighth-notes). But in the context of the
manuscript "//" as a colla-parte-sign may signal that you "go and copy
the measure below" and that measure may consist of two half notes with
strokes through the stem - and this has nothing to do with expansion or
regularization. Thus I think that the solution is ok for the next
release but not a fully satisfying one?

2. Concerning Raffaele's hint that the double lines // (or something
similar) have to be seen in conjunction with the "c.B." <quote
resp:"Raffaele">"if col Basso ... means 'play the current measure at the
Basso staff' ..., the same meaning will be repeated by // in the
following measure</quote> struck me at the first reading as a totally
convincing interpretation of the "//" signs. But returning to the
manuscript I begin to be a doubting Thomas again. Please haave a lookt
at:
http://digital.staatsbibliothek-berlin.de/dms/werkansicht/?PPN=PPN65499935X&PHYSID=PHYS_0064
There you find "col Tenore" and "col Basso" (bottom-middle) and the
strokes // are beneath these words - so they are not a repetition sign
here. And differing from the measure-repeats in the last bars of this
page in violins and violas (staff 7-9 from top) we find the next hints
in the chorus staffs (no. 2-3 from bottom) as double lines // crossing
the bar line (that is continued on the next page). And as a further
motive we have the "unis:[ono] in line 5 from top (middle)", again with
a //-sign. (Besides: the // in b. 3/4 of the flute - staff 1 from top -
are a repetition sign for bars 1/2 on this page) - so the "//" has very
different meanings here, but always have something to to with "repetion".
In the case of "colla parte", "in 8va", "col Basso", "unisono" etc. it
is not necessary that this verbal "prescription" is explicit: Look at:
bibliothek-berlin.de/dms/werkansicht/?PPN=PPN65499935X&PHYSID=PHYS_0025&USE=800
In the cello-staff there is only "//" without any "c.B." (and I think
that Eleanor hinted at the fact that this form is often to be found with
other composers - but you know that I am only acquainted with this
strange Weber.... :-[ ). So we really have to be careful what we define
in the header as the symbols used combined with their "meaning".

3. As soon as we connect "//" with any form of meaning we are
interpreting the signs (and behave as editors - even if we add "col
Basso" where we only find //). And Eleanor's examples show that in many
cases there is a lot of  wiggle-room here! But if we continue the work
of encoding the manuscript of the Freischuetz-overture I think we should
differentiate at least between a <symboldef> of "//" that denotes pure
measure (or half-measure) repeats (and are normally used quite strictly:
as repetition signs in each measure or at least on the bar-lines if
meant for a 2-measure-unit) and those which show a "freer distribution",
but at least in Weber's case are preferably used as sign "on a bar-line"
for the <goCopy>-mechanism?

Nevertheless a generic element with the function of "go and bring
something from another bar here in this place" would really be of some
advantage!?

I hope that this makes the discussion not too confusing - but that seems
to be my special part at the moment ;-) .
Best greetings,
Joachim