[MEI-L] Colla parte

Joachim Veit veit at weber-gesamtausgabe.de
Fri Sep 2 21:43:40 CEST 2011

Dear MEI-L-Readers,

when encoding manuscripts MEI has the possibility to encode
measure-repeats or half-measure-repeats which are found in the original
manuscripts in a form similar to: // or .//.  (two strokes through the
barlines or something similar) with <mrpt> or <halfmrpt>. This has
always a clear reference to the bar (or half-bar) before.

The same symbols are used in manuscripts in combination with the "col
Basso" or other "colla-parte"-instructions.
Again in Weber's Freischuetz-Overture (we never do something other...)
we have a contrabbasso with <staff n="16"> and above this the
violoncello with <staff n="15>. Weber notates the contrabbasso in a
normal way and in the cello-staff we find only "c. B." (= bar 1) and
afterwards //   //    // etc.
For a modern edition we could label the layer of the contrabbasso with
an xml:id="2011" and put in the layer of staff 15: <layer n="1"
copyof="2011"/>.

But in this case we want to encode the "original" situation! So we first
have to define in the scoredef:
<scoredef>....
<symboltable>
<symboldef xml:id="symCollaParte"/> <!-- here we describe the symbol(s)
Weber and others use in this case -->
</symboltable>
</scoredef>

and within our staff 15:
<staff n="15">
<layer n="1">
<symbol ref="symCollaParte"/>
</layer>
</staff>
In this case the reference is not always clear: it might go to the staff
below (as in this case) or the staff above (if the cello is written out
and the cb-staff is pointing to the cello) or even from a flute to the
first violin 5 systems below. So there should be some mechanism to make
clear where the model is situated. And second: We should have the
possibility to use "c. B." (or something similar) as a symbol-phrase
(which at the same time "defines" the model) and for the following bars
simply use "//" (or something similar) (maybe even one symbol for 2-3
bars together??).
Is this case already considered in the future guidelines?

Best greetings and a happy weekend,
Joachim

Dateiname   : veit.vcf
Dateityp    : text/x-vcard