[MEI-L] Issue tracker (was: @clef* inside scoredef)

Andrew Hankinson, Mr andrew.hankinson at mail.mcgill.ca
Mon Jul 11 21:21:32 CEST 2011

Yes, I think we should definitely try and sort this out, since the community is starting to grow. It's one of those "good problems to have."

I do agree that we should try and move away from Sourceforge. Their development tools are really sub-par when compared to newer code hosting sites like Google Code or GitHub.

Usually communities set up three mailing lists to help direct discussion, e.g.,

-- MEI-L: General discussion and high-level community direction;
-- MEI-devel: Lower-level Developer discussion;
-- MEI-commits: A broadcast list that sends out the updates to the development repository as they are made.

I would, however, support the use of an issue tracker. It's extremely useful for "atomic" discussions about a single issue -- e-mail messages roll a couple things together, and so searching for decisions made or feature requests can be a bit tricky. Plus you can do useful things like track commits and issues, where you can automatically reference an issue in a commit message, e.g., "fixes bug reported in #32" or "adds support for feature x requested in issue #56".

-Andrew