[MEI-L] default durations, WAS: @dur on tuplet/tupletspan

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Wed Jul 6 21:45:05 CEST 2011

I forgot to say in my earlier response that the phrase "in the same measure" was there because MEI provides a @dur.default attribute on <scoreDef>, <staffDef>, and <layerDef> elements to handle the case where the first note of the measure isn't specified.  So, the duration of the first note below

<measure>
  <staff n="1">
    <layer n="1">
      <note pname="c" oct="4"/>
      <note/>
      <note/>
      <note/>
    </layer>
  </staff>
</measure>

would default to the value specified in @dur.default given in the layer definition, or if @dur.default wasn't specified there, in @dur.default given in the staff definition, or if not there, in @dur.default stated in the score definition.

It was never stated (and I don't believe it can be absolutely determined) what the result should be if there was no @dur.default attribute at any of these locations.  Some applications might want to raise a fatal error, while others might want to attempt some automagical "recovery" process, such as defaulting to a quarter note duration.  The choice of which way to deal with this depends on the software; that is, whether its internal format requires the specification of duration, whether it forces measures to "add up" to the prevailing meter signature, etc.

Perry Roland
Music Library
University of Virginia
P. O. Box 400175