[MEI-L] How to use <ftrem>

TW zupftom at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 16 11:34:43 CEST 2011

I'm not sure what's the proper way of using <ftrem>.  If I want to
encode the last <ftrem> from this image:

http://www.music-encoding.org/pix/tagLibrary/meiTagLibrary2010-05_html_25c82644.png

would I do it like this (assuming it's in treble clef):

<beam>
  <ftrem slash="1">
    <note pname="f" dur="32" oct="4"/>
    <note pname="a" dur="32" oct="4"/>
  </ftrem>
</beam>

i.e. this is a pair of properly beamed 32nd notes with an additional
stroke, or like this:

<ftrem slash="4">

  <note pname="f" dur="32" oct="4"/>

  <note pname="a" dur="32" oct="4"/>

</ftrem>

assuming that slash="4" and @dur="32" imply that we have three beams
and one slash?

Analogously, how would I encode the second <ftrem>:

<beam>

  <ftrem slash="2">

    <note pname="f" dur="2" oct="4"/>

    <note pname="a" dur="2" oct="4"/>

  </ftrem>

</beam>

i.e. a pair of "improperly" beamed half notes with an additional
slash?  I'm not sure, could there be half note heads with two or more
beams?  How do I tell how many beams?  Or like this:

<ftrem slash="3">

  <note pname="f" dur="2" oct="4"/>

  <note pname="a" dur="2" oct="4"/>

</ftrem>

and ftrem/@slash="3" and note/@dur="2" imply that I have one beam and
two slashes?  Could there be half notes without beam and only with
slashes?  And wouldn't it make sense to have an ftrem/@dur attribute,
analogously to chord/@dur?

It would be great if the images in the documentation could be
supplemented with code examples (did I understand correctly that this
is work in progress?)

Thanks!
Thomas Weber