[MEI-L] clef as milestone element

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Thu Jun 9 23:08:50 CEST 2011

<clef> could be allowed to occur (as Johannes suggests) directly within <layer>.  But as we've just witnessed, even in supposedly regular old, stiff, staid CMN there can be multiple clefs in operation on a single staff.  This is a common feature of pre-modern notation.  So, what does this mean? --

Is this two clef changes in a row?  Or are both clefs supposed to change simultaneously?

In order to avoid ambiguitry, something must be used to wrap the two <clef> elements when they're supposed to change simultaneously.  For example,

If clef changes are indicated this way when there's more than one clef, why not, for consistency's sake, use this method when there's only one?  However, in order to avoid --

clefchange carries the same attributes as clef, allowing --

Now, I will agree that perhaps "clefchange" is not the most appropriate name when this element is applied to the repeating clefs at the left side of every system.  But, the original assumption was the there was no need to record this information on every system, only in <scoredef> and/or <staffdef> elements, from which the repeating clefs/key signatures/etc. could be generated.  As I implied in an earlier message, MEI was not originally intended to record all the marks on a page and then secondarily their musical meanings.  If someone wants to suggest a new element for "statement of clef" or wants to suggest a name that can be applied to "statements of clef" and "changes of clef" equally well, then I'm all ears.

Perry Roland
Music Library
University of Virginia
P. O. Box 400175