No subject

Thu May 19 10:25:27 CEST 2011

procedure I suggested above; that is, record the visual placement of the cl=
ef and then try to figure it what it means.  But, "that way lies madness", =
as they say, because we'd quickly find ourselves re-designing MEI as an ann=
otation mechanism for graphics files.  :)   I believe Donncha O'Maidin made=
 a proposal like this several years ago.  But that ain't MEI. :)

__________________________
Perry Roland
Music Library
University of Virginia
P. O. Box 400175
Charlottesville, VA 22904
434-982-2702 (w)
pdr4h (at) virginia (dot) edu
From: mei-l-bounces at lists.uni-paderborn.de [mei-l-bounces at lists.uni-paderbo=
rn.de] on behalf of Craig Sapp [craigsapp at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 9:22 PM
To: mei-l at lists.uni-paderborn.de
Subject: [MEI-L] Debussy La Danse de Puck clef

Hi Don,

I would say that the clef in the notation example:
    http://www.informatics.indiana.edu/donbyrd/InterestingMusicNotation_fil=
es/Debussy_Danse.png
is not a clef but a pointer (in the C-programming sense) to a clef.
In other words, if it were a clef, then the pitch of that note would
be F3 since the F clef is aligned vertically with that note.
However, the pitch of the note is E1, with the bass-clef symbol
indicating that that particular note (and the note tied after it)
should be interpreted as being on a staff with an F-clef located
on the fourth line from the bottom of the staff.

Not that that would help clarify how to encode it too much, other
than that it is a clef-symbol and not actually a clef.

As a simple representational hack, perhaps something along the lines of:
   * logical/sounding pitch of note is E1
   * visual pitch of note is C3
   * clef symbol is an ornament attached to the left side of the note

If you were to transpose the music for some strange reason using
the above mechanism, things would get very complicated, since
you must suppress any visual accidentals (invisible visual accidentals),
and only display the logical/sounding accidentals....

Another better way of encoding the Debussy example and preserve
a reasonable representation after transposition might be to treat
it in a similar manner to cross-staff notes, which is closer to the
intended meaning of this notational shorthand.  In this case, there is
a cross-staff note with -1 staff displacement.  The staff below is
superimposed on top of the bottom of the grand staff, and the staff
below also has an implicit (hidden) clef (and implicit accidentals).

Or another variation is that the note is printed on an ossia-type staff
(with the same size) which superimposes on the main staff (with an
implicit bass clef).

-=3D+Craig