[MEI-L] clef as milestone element

Laurent Pugin laurent at music.mcgill.ca
Tue May 31 17:14:58 CEST 2011

Hi all,

In my opinion, that layout tree should be used for encoding
information that cannot (or can very hardly) be represented in the
logical tree. We probably agree that page information and system
information are a good examples because of the approach taken to
encode the logical tree (i.e., pb and sb are milestones). Now, because
in music notation, there is no clear cutting point between what
belongs to the music itself and what belongs to the layout, we have to
have some flexibility because it is never going to be possible to
decide where to put things if they have to go only into one place. As
a provocation, we could say that measures could also belong to the
layout. It is possible to process the music data without knowing
anything about the measures (except maybe for the repetition bars, and
they could be milestones as well).

I have the impression that it is going to be simpler to avoid to use
the layout tree whenever it is possible. For example, if I have one
single source, and I want to encode x and y position, why shouldn't I
put them in the @x and @y in the logical tree? Now of course, if I
have several sources with different positions, then obviously I cannot
do that. In that case, an option could be to have several layout trees
(one per source), store the x and y position in the respective layout
tree, with its elements pointing to the logical tree. Does it make
sense?

It does not seems very different for me to have several options as we
already have, for example, for representing beams, that is <beam>,
@beam or <beamspan>. That is why I think having a little bit more
flexibility with <clef> would be useful in some uses of MEI.

All the best,
Laurent