[MEI-L] clef as milestone element

Raffaele Viglianti raffaeleviglianti at gmail.com
Tue May 31 09:35:40 CEST 2011

Dear all,

I agree that using clefchange and staffdef for courtesy clef repetitions is
a bit cumbersome, but I would advise against overweighting <pb/> and <sb/>.
In my opinion they should only signify the break and contain nothing. A
custos should occur *before* (or occasionally after) the system break and
not within the system break. If you think about it, that is what happens on
the page. In the same way, the clef repetition should not be attached to sb
or pb.

Moreover, I have come across clef repetitions that do not happen at system
or page break. This is quite common for orchestral works, where some
instruments may not play for a few pages and on reprise, the scribe writes
the clef for clarity. You can see how this can easily happen in the middle
of the page.

Best,
Raffaele