[MEI-L] coordinates

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Wed Feb 23 16:43:24 CET 2011

Hello, Thomas,

Welcome to the list!  Thanks for your interest in MEI.

As Johannes and Andrew have already said, if you're working with an existing image, then you can define bounding boxes with the origin at the upper left corner.  Elements representing musical semantics can be related to these bounding boxes using the facs attribute.

If on the other hand, you want to specify where a feature is supposed to wind up in rendered version of the encoding, then x and y coordinates should be used.  Because it's impossible to mandate a single coordinate system for all uses/users, the values of x and y are left to the user.  I suppose these values could be contextual, but it probably would be most useful to employ a single, page-based coordinate system.

MEI provides a page.units attribute on scoredef for recording the real-world units of the output coordinate system.  Currently the values allowed are in, cm, and mm, but this could be extended to include px and other values.

MEI also has a page.scale attribute on the scoredef element that can be used to indicate the relationship between "virtual units" and real-world units given in the page.units attribute.  Virtual units are not currently defined as such, but for relative placement MEI uses half the distance between adjacent staff lines as the basic unit of measurement.  (For example, ho=".5" indicates half of the basic unit or one quarter of the distance between two staff lines.)  Practically speaking, I think this is MEI's "virtual unit".  So a value of 1:1 in page.scale where page.units="cm" indicates that half the distance between adjacent staff lines equals one centimeter.  (Not a realistic example, but you get the idea.)

Of course, all of this stems from my understanding, or lack thereof, of what's needed in MEI for handling graphics.  I freely admit to not being an expert in this area.  If you have suggestions for improvement, please contribute them on this list.

Thanks again for your interest in MEI.  I look forward to hearing from you again soon,

Perry Roland
Music Library
University of Virginia
P. O. Box 400175