[MEI-L] coordinates

Johannes Kepper kepper at edirom.de
Wed Feb 23 13:20:12 CET 2011

Hi Thomas,

MEI has different approaches to graphics. When you plan to describe an existing image, you should use the @facs-attribute and refer to a zone-element in facsimile (sibling of body). I don't think that this is what you're looking for, but it is surely the better established way to deal with graphics in MEI. The other way is what you already mentioned: Using @x / @y. The unit of this is not clearly defined, but it makes a lot of sense to refer to the unit defined in scoredef. In scoredef/@page.units you can decide whether to use cm / mm or inches. Adding pix to that list would require to specify the resolution (which is not possible yet, I think). There are lots of other interesting attributes for you on scoredef when you consider to render your MEI. The origin for your @x / @y coordinates would be the upper left corner of the page (even though the current documentation does not say so, unfortunately…).

I hope this helps you a bit to get things started. Please ask if you have any further questions – I'm happy to hear more about your project!

Best regards,
Johannes

Am 23.02.2011 um 11:18 schrieb TW:

> Dear MEI list members,
>
> I'm exploring different approaches to music encoding and am especially
> interested in the relationship between graphics and semantics as well
> as graphical flexibility and precision.
>
> One basic question about the graphical capabilities of MEI is how the
> x/y coordinates are meant to work.  What is the "output coordinate
> system" that the schema talks about?  Is it page based, staff based
> like in SCORE, staff/measure based like in MusicXML or maybe dependent
> on context?  Is there a standard unit like MusicXML's "tenth" or is
> the encoder free to choose units of his liking?
>
> Thanks
> Thomas Weber

Dr. Johannes Kepper
Wiss. Mitarbeiter