[MEI-L] Encoding staff positions

Laurent Pugin laurent at music.mcgill.ca
Tue Feb 8 09:15:18 CET 2011

Hi,

yes, I agree that the cases described by the genetic encoding group
are rather extreme ones for which the best thing to do for music would
probably be to use MEI within TEI together with the GE module.

It should not preclude us to improve MEI itself for the 80% of the
situations, and I also agree the it can be a 'small' solution. My
would have pretty much everything we need for the new hierarchy.
Inside it, the sub-tree is likely to stay the same, but some
containing elements (such as <measure>) would definitely have to
become milestones. That is the big question, as Perry said, but if
they are not too many of them, I see it as a small solution that would
do it.

In my opinion, it can be useful to capture the original source at the
very beginning of an editorial process, but it could also be useful at
the end of the process. If we think of the case where MEI is used to
encode a new edition, this feature could also make it easier to encode
its layout and to represent it. If we have an orchestra score with,
let's say, hundreds of pages, turning a page would require every time
the entire tree to be parsed to get all the <pb> and all the <sb>. I
know software issues are not the starting point when defining an
encoding, but this is seriously not optimal. Why shouldn't I have to
option to have the encoding in a page-oriented way when the edition
reached a publishing stage? And maybe to add some more detailed layout
information for making it easier to read? I don't know, it is just one
way I see to use MEI.

Laurent