[MEI-L] Encoding staff positions

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Mon Feb 7 20:10:15 CET 2011

Hi Andrew,

You're absolutely right that <staff> attempts to capture the logical nature rather than the physical nature of staves.  <sb/> is of secondary importance in this approach.

However, Laurent and I have had several conversations about creating a page-oriented version of MEI.  I think this would address your needs as one of the major features of this approach would be a <system> element.  In other words, in this approach the physical layout would be primary.

I think turning the current schema "inside-outside" would be a good place to start; that is, the things that are empty now, such as <lb/> and <sb/> will end up being containers and some current container elements will end up being empty.  I think your suggestions a're definitely on the right track, but I'm reluctant to intermingle the logical-is-primary approach with the physical-is-primary method.  So, I think the choice will have to be mutually exclusive, implemented by switching on a page-oriented module.  The big question is, How many of the existing elements will have to make the empty <--> container switch?

Is this something we can take up after the next release in May?

Perry Roland
Music Library
University of Virginia
P. O. Box 400175