[MEI-L] relateditem and relations between mei elements

Eleanor Selfridge-Field esfield at stanford.edu
Wed Jan 5 20:07:19 CET 2011

Hi, Axel,

I constructed a typology for source  “variants” in my contribution
“Musical Variants in Digital Practice” to Digitale Edition zwischen
Experiment und Standardisierung (Peter Stadler und Joachim Veit, eds.,
Niemeyer 2009).

In it I considered variants that pertain to scores (and parts) at four
levels of granularity: (1) note-level variants, (2) note-group and
phrase-level variants, (3) part-level and/or orchestral variants, and (4)
tree-structure variants. (This typology accommodates variant editorial
readings up to a point.)

Because there were some difficulties with one of the figures in the
circulated version, I am attaching the final edit version here (for
MEI-group use only).

For durable code structures, one really needs to accommodate “variants” at
whatever level suits the repertory at hand. I am sure there are situations
in which all of the above occur together.

·         (1) Provisions for note-level variants should usually work for
monophonic repertories, but one can easily conjure up exceptions
(folk-song repertories with translated texts that change syllabification
and add or subtract notes in arbitrary numbers).

·         (2)Note-group and phrase-level variants need to operate on the
second tier for repertories that have beams and slurs, which means most
repertories from 1600 on and quite a bit from before that time.

·         (3) Variations in voicing, instrumentation, instrument grouping,
et al., reflect the steady improvements in printing from the eighteenth
century onward.

·         (4) Tree-structure variants are rampant in manuscript studies
where multiple versions exist (or are reflected—as they often are in
Handel and Vivaldi—by writing them into margins).

Thinking in the first two levels is also useful for handling some
articulations (such as trills, which consume time but do not appear to do
so on the page) and basso continuo figuration. 1:1 (note-level) works in
some situations but not in all.

A “just enough” scheme for MEI markup (i.e., use Level 1 where it works
throughout the piece, default to it from higher levels within more complex
pieces) would have much to recommend it.

Since a lot of music at the Danish National Library site (which I value
for its transparent organization: thanks!!) come from the eighteenth and
nineteenth centuries, I believe that its interests would be well served
from the ability to accommodation Levels 1, 2, and 3.

Eleanor

Eleanor Selfridge-Field

Stanford University

Stanford, CA 94305-3076