[MEI-L] Figured Bass in MEI

Laurent Pugin laurent at music.mcgill.ca
Wed Dec 1 11:18:30 CET 2010

Hi all,

Thanks for the very complete proposal. A short comment about the placement
question. I saw cases of printed sources where the figured bass symbols
(sharps or flats) are within the staff, usually just before the note to
which they apply. I remember having seen cases with symbols places a third
or a fifth higher than the note, or a third below, but also sometimes at the
same pitch. In that last case, the result is ambiguous because it looks
exactly like a normal sharp or a normal flat. I don't think we have to
bother with encoding the ambiguity, but at least the original placement
would be nice. Any thoughts?

Best wishes,
Laurent