[MEI-L] figured bass

Maja Hartwig Maja.Hartwig at gmx.de
Tue Oct 26 12:11:23 CEST 2010

Dear list,
we have a new problem:
We are encoding some Bach chorales which include figured bass. Apparently we haven't found the best solution yet, so we'd like to ask how others have used it.
Our problem: We'd like to encode a chord that contains an accidental, but the accid-element is not allowed within the context of <harm>. Benjamin and Johannes aren't convinced by the current model of harm, as it doesn't provide "logical" access to slashed numbers, individual extensions and so on. Currently it's just a <stack> of text, but text in MEI cannot contain any musical symbols. Is there a way around this, or are we overlooking something obvious?

Thanks for sharing your expertise…
Maja