[MEI-L] source-type metadata

Eleanor Selfridge-Field esfield at stanford.edu
Wed Sep 15 21:54:53 CEST 2010

Hi,

I will leave the details of tag names and order to all of you, but I would
like to expand on Laurent’s comments with respect to our own work at CCARH
for full-score encoding and part production (see http://www.musedata.org).

1.       Parts

Parts have their own physical/layout requirements that are different from
scores. This extends to fonts (parts are generally in larger type); they
may also be on a smaller page size (so it does not fall off a music stand)
or they may conform to a different aspect ratio. They often require
multi-bar rests, which as physical symbols are different in number and
presentation from what the rests in a score. The largest number of
consecutive bar-rests occurring in tandem in our work has so far been 67
(a Handel oratorio).

2.       Multibar rests with respect to parts and scores

The multi-bar rest problem points to a much larger problem in the
presentation of scores with individual parts that blink on and off. Most
publishers want to conserve as much paper as possible, and acres of staves
with rests in a score can consume many extra pages. The widespread
practice is to reduced the number of staves where ever possible. In
digital environments, solutions to this problem can become very tangled up
with the treatment of divisi parts (the number of individual/combined
parts for a specific instrument keep changing), or of tremolandi (their
use is rarely mandatory, but it saves reams of paper).

In the case of orchestral music and opera, the later the date of the
composition, the more likely it is to be affected by this problem. Since
many MEI-ers are working on the nineteenth century, this may be a good
time to think about how many hooks (if any) MEI wants to offer to those
converting its material to print.

3.       Relationships/Differentiation between printed and electronic
scores/parts

A whole new layer of complexity to any system of description is introduced
by facilitating both printed and electronic publication. If it is intended
that any of the editions generated by MEI are to be “born digital,” then
it is necessary to have a rather extensive set of tags to facilitate it.
The critical software question is where to branch off between paper and
electronic formats in the process of getting from encoding to
implementation(s).

Electronic publishing of a musical score can take the format of a
continuous horizontal or vertical “scroll” to which concepts of page break
and page layout (with or without paper-saving features) are irrelevant.
Currently, though, no one can perform from these formats, and they are
very difficult to print without the loss of some detail. Th crux of the
problem is non-convertibility between one end product and another via its
encoding. All the post-processing fixes become specific to one graphical
instantiation (as, for example, with some basso continuo figures in
commercial notation packages).

4.       Amalgamations of different clusters of parts (also with cue-sized
notes) to produce short scores

There seems to be no end to the imaginative combinations of instruments
today’s musicians want to be able to view in one short score. Typically,
they also want cue-size notes in selected passages. Last week one of our
colleagues wanted a violin-viola short score for a piece of chamber music
(for several instruments) he is preparing. It is good that people are
thinking of this kind of flexibility, but it remains difficult to provide
the equivalent of printed conventions without undo time and effort. We
undertook quite an effort in this area several years ago with Handel’s
Messiah. You can study some of the differences at
http://scores.ccarh.org/handel/messiah/.

There may be no perfect solutions to these questions, but my belief is
that #1 and #2 potentially affect many of the repertories considering the
use of MEI. Most people have not dealt with #3 or #4 yet in any systematic
way, but we have because of our current emphasis on PDF generation
directly from musical data. You can see some results at these links:

                http://www.ccarh.org/publications/beethoven-symphonies/

                To study the score/part problem, see the parts for
Beethoven’s Seventh Symphony at
http://www.musedata.org/encodings/beet/bh/sym/no7/

                MEI has a real chance to address some of the lapses in
commercial software.

Eleanor

esfield at stanford.edu