[MEI-L] New MEI grant from the DFG and NEH

Eleanor Selfridge-Field esfield at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 29 22:54:41 CEST 2010

Congratulations to all of you!

Eleanor

-----Original Message-----
From: mei-l-bounces at lists.uni-paderborn.de
[mailto:mei-l-bounces at lists.uni-paderborn.de] On Behalf Of Mayhood, Erin
(elm8s)
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:51 PM
To: mei-l at lists.uni-paderborn.de
Subject: [MEI-L] New MEI grant from the DFG and NEH

Dear MEI Community,

We are thrilled to report that MEI has received three more years of
support from the DFG and NEH!

The DFG/NEH Bilateral Digital Humanities Program: Enriching Digital
Collections Program has provided funding for a three year, bilateral,
collaborative effort to produce a Music Encoding Initiative (MEI)
demonstration project and to engage in dissemination efforts that will
establish MEI as the predominant academic encoding standard for music
notation.

The demonstration project will include basic software for transforming
material into MEI, a searchable archive of representative MEI-encoded
data, and a prototype delivery system for items in the archive. Our
dissemination efforts – presentations at professional conferences, the
provision of workshops, the formal foundation of a governing council,
and a first "MEI Members Meeting" – will all contribute to the
establishment and expansion of the community base we have been
building this past year. In turn, we expect that the widening
community will itself begin to attract new users and trigger the
development of additional tools for MEI outside this project.

In order to carry out this project the National Endowment for the
Humanities has provided $161,175 and the Deutsche
Forschungsgemeinschaft €128,148. Johannes Kepper, Erin Mayhood, Perry
Roland and Joachim Veit are named principal investigators for the project.

This new grant adds to the ever growing momentum in the MEI community
and I hope you will all accept our thanks for your support over the
past year. We look forward to continued collaboration!

Sincerely,

Joachim, Johannes, Erin and Perry