[MEI-L] Encoding Square Notation

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Tue Jun 29 20:38:58 CEST 2010

Hi all,

Johannes' suggestion is correct when dealing with adiastematic neumes.  Because there's no pitch info. contained in the original neumes, any pitch assignment is interpretative.  One should use choice/orig/reg *around* the neumes as in Johannes' example or use app/rdg *inside* each neume.

However, when pitch is a feature of the neume notation (diastematic neumes), then the encoding of pitch is about transcription, not interpretation.  In this case, there must be an element within i/uneume that can be hold pitch information for the neume.  As Andrew has pointed out, an attribute won't work because a neume may represent multiple pitches.

Despite my earlier confusion, now I don't think using <note> inside i/uneume is tag abuse.  It depends on how one defines "note".  The current definition is "a single pitched event".  I think this definition is broad enough to encompass uses in CMN and neumatic notation.  A note in CMN has a lot more "properties" than just pitch -- duration, head size and shape, stem length, etc. -- while in neume notation the list of properties is (probably) shorter and different.  But, differences in the number or value of properties of a note don't, as far as I can see now, make them fundamentally different things in the two repertoires.  The availability of certain note properties in CMN and others in neume notation can be controlled using schema modules and schematron rules.

As Eleanor says, at some point there may be a need for the same kinds of information to be associated with notes in the neume repertoire as that available in the CMN rep.  Ease of processing in this case is another good reason for retaining <note> within i/uneume.

We must, however, make it clear that within i/uneume <note> should only be used for transcription, not interpretation.  Of course, all encoding is interpretation on some level, but the kind of interpretation I'm talking about here is the furnishing of information not in the source being transcribed.

I think we should stick with the original plan, my earlier mis-statements hopefully forgotten.  As Stefan says, "it's all already there".  No need to re-design what's working.  This makes Andrew's job of accommodating the Solesmes notation easier because he doesn't have to add superfluous new features.

Perry Roland
Digital Curation Services
University of Virginia Library
P. O. Box 400155