[MEI-L] Encoding Square Notation

Andrew Hankinson, Mr andrew.hankinson at mail.mcgill.ca
Thu Jun 24 23:00:20 CEST 2010

It's not a problem. It's a pleasure to be able to help out.

I think at issue is the difference between a separation of neume and pitch content. There may be semantic arguments for and against, but I think the strongest argument for this separation is the idea that a "neume" both can, and cannot, have a pitch. If a neume is one note, it has a pitch. (e.g. a Punctum.) However, if a neume has three sub-components, it cannot have a pitch value.

To illustrate: If we "overload" the <uneume> element for both pitch and grouping information, we can run into a situation where we can produce syntactically valid XML that has a nonsense meaning. For example:

<uneume name="torculus" pname="c" oct="4">
  <uneume pname="c" ... />
  <uneume pname="d" ... />
  <uneume pname="c" ... />
</uneume>

This would be syntactically valid XML, but semantically nonsensical since we can't have a neume with three pitches given in a @pname attribute.

If we, instead, encode the pitch information separate from the neume information, we don't have to put the @pitch attribute on any u/ineume elements and reserve those elements simply for marking out groups of one or many pitches. I thought the <note> element would be a fairly obvious element to use, but we could also create a separate element for this use, eg.:

<uneume name="torculus">
  <neumepitch value="c" ... />
  <neumepitch value="d" ... />
  <neumepitch value="c" ... />
</uneume>

I think something like this might satisfy your requirement that we keep any reading or modern interpretation separate from the actual neume, but it would also make it clear that the pitch information is not a neume in and of itself - it's simply a sub-component of a larger entity known as a "torculus". This also does not forego the use of the same <uneume> and <ineume> for chironomic neumes - they simply would have no pitch information enclosed within them.

-Andrew