No subject

Thu Jun 17 00:00:03 CEST 2010

RNG and XSD schemas simultaneously. Is that correct?

If you would like a hand, I can help to set up the SVN repository to ensure=
 that the experimental and release pieces are kept separate.

Cheers,
-Andrew

On 2010-06-17, at 2:53 PM, Roland, Perry (pdr4h) wrote:

> Andrew's suggestion sounds reasonable to me.  It's good to have an empiri=
cal basis for the task force (I have the phrases "committee" and "sub-commi=
ttee" and, worst of all, the "sub-committee on committees") to base its rec=
ommendations on.

> But we have to be careful to keep the various experimental pieces separat=
e from each other and separate from the official MEI release.

> Also, it must be clear that the experiments are just that -- experiments =
-- and that they may or may not be sanctioned in the next release.

born.de] On Behalf Of Andrew Hankinson, Mr [andrew.hankinson at mail.mcgill.ca=
]
> Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2010 1:12 PM
> To: Music Encoding Initiative
> Subject: Re: [MEI-L] Encoding Square Notation
>
> I think a subcommittee for this is the right idea, and I'd be happy to wo=
rk on this with anyone else who is interested.

> We have some people who are currently employed to transcribe the Solemnes=
 notation into MEI, though, so we have a bit of pressure to come up with, a=
t least, a tentative solution to this problem. I think that presents a grea=
t opportunity, though, since we can provide the schema software development=
 as we go as part of this project. This means we wouldn't need to find extr=
a funding for our part of this component.

> My biggest concern would be doing that in a way that would be open to the=
 rest of the community, and not just our own little "McGill flavour" of MEI=
 neumed encoding. Dr. Morent was right to point out that the same symbol ha=
s different meanings in different notational contexts, which means that at =
some point the 19th C. and the 9th C. notations would need to be reconciled=
. Rather than trying a top-down approach, I would suggest we tie the develo=
pment of these components to actual practical implementations. This would h=
elp us work out any bugs and edge cases for encoding this notation as we wo=
rk through the repertoire.

> In software development, these sorts of things are typically reconciled b=
y having different teams work on experimental sub-components, which are the=
n reviewed by other developers before being included in the "mainline" soft=
ware. I think that presents a very interesting model. We could develop the =
software to meet our needs for the 19th C. repertoire here, in an "experime=
ntal" branch of the MEI Subversion repository. Dr. Morent's team could do s=
omething very similar. At a given point we could use the MEI Neumes "task f=
orce" as an editorial board to reconcile those experimental branches and co=
me up with a sub-schema (or sub-schemas) that can be incorporated into the =
next release of MEI. These branches would be public to the whole community,=
 so anyone would be able to follow their development.

> Thoughts?
>
> -Andrew
>

> On 2010-06-17, at 9:03 AM, Roland, Perry (pdr4h) wrote:
>
>> Stefan, Andrew, et al,
>>
>> I was getting a little wary that this episema thing might be too easy.  =
:)

>> I agree that careful consideration will have to be given to episemata ac=
ross various repertoires.  Since my knowledge of neume notation is very sli=
ght and both you and Andrew are planning/ executing projects dealing with i=
t, you should definitely take the lead here.

>> It seems to me an MEI Neumes Task Force is called for in order to examin=
e the broader context and make recommendations for improving the MEI schema=
.  We could make changes to the current neumes module or perhaps cast the c=
urrent neumes module as a "basic" neumes module then add additional modules=
 for different repertoires -- Solesmes, St. Gall, etc.

rborn.de] On Behalf Of Prof. Dr. Morent [stefan.morent at uni-tuebingen.de]