[MEI-L] Encoding Square Notation

Andrew Hankinson, Mr andrew.hankinson at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Jun 16 20:35:05 CEST 2010

Thanks, Perry.

RE: The Episemas
Would it be possible to do both a full element and an attribute, similar to the "dots" attribute on the note and the "<dot />" element if more information is needed?

For the attribute, I think "episemae" (pl?) are only attached to the notes in a ligature - not to the note itself. I would propose an "episema" attribute that can take the values "both", "horizontal" or "vertical".

For the element, we could define an "<episema>" element with a type attribute with the values "horizontal" or "vertical". This could then be extended later with xml:id attributes, etc.

To use the "Sunday at Vespers" chant example, it might be encoded something like this:

<syllable>
   <syl>DE_</syl>
   <uneume xml:id="d1e1" name="punctum">
      <note pname="c" oct="4"/>
   </uneume>
</syllable>
<syllable>
   <syl>us</syl>
      <uneume xml:id="d2e1" name="punctum">
         <note pname="c" oct="4" episema="both" />
                 **OR**
         <note pname="c" oct="4">
            <episema type="horizontal" />
            <episema type="vertical" />
         </note>
      </uneume>
</syllable>

RE: The Divisions
Upon further reflection, I would be wary of "overloading" the barline to function as a division. They look visually similar, but function quite different - it may be like calling a "punctum" the same as a "crochet" just because they are solid shapes! :) The divisions act more like "musical punctuation," and in that way operate more like a fermata or a rest than they do a barline.

Would it be possible to add a <division> element to the neumes module to explicitly encode them?

Finally,
I think doing extensions on the RelaxNG schema is an excellent idea. I'm new to the MEI community, so I'm not sure of the best way to proceed. I would suggest that we can add a "branch" in the Subversion repository and make our proposed changes there, which can then be reviewed and incorporated back into the "trunk" for the next release. That will keep the mainline release versions and any "experimental" versions separate.

Otherwise, I'm very open to alternative suggestions.

Cheers,
-Andrew