[MEI-L] @function on names

Johannes Kepper kepper at edirom.de
Wed Mar 31 21:04:17 CEST 2010

Hi all,

when I looked at the examples discussed for the eventlist, another issue came to my mind.

> <event when="1812-06-26" type="dedication">
> 1812</date>
> </event>

Perry will call me a structuralist, but what do you think of adding something like @function to names? It could help to identify (in this case) the dedicatee if there are multiple persnames encoded in the event's description. If I remember correctly, TEI offers @role for a purpose. Of course, "role" would be misleading in the context of music, so my first thought was using @function, but the native speakers among us will most likely come up with a better name for such an attribute.

I don't think that it is essential for the release, but if we decide that something like that could be useful in the near future, it's probably better to implement it right now. It's just an idea that I haven't considered very long, so I'm open to conviction :-)

Johannes