[MEI-L] [List of music-notation features; WAS] comment on MEI @clef.trans values

Byrd, Donald A. donbyrd at indiana.edu
Sat Aug 15 23:20:36 CEST 2009

Eleanor raises a _very_ important point, one I don't think we addressed
directly in Charlottesville, at least not for more than a minute or
two. What features of CWMN are worth including in Round 1 of the new
MEI? For that matter, what features of CWMN exist? Coming up with a
complete list is virtually impossible, but a reasonably comprehensive
list would be very useful.

I'm pretty sure no such list exists, but there are places to start. My
music-IR bibliography
(http://www.informatics.indiana.edu/donbyrd/DonMusicIRBibliography.html) says
of the Byrd & Isaacson "Music Representation Requirements" paper I keep
mentioning:

'Attempts to classify and list, in terms of information represented,
all symbols in CWMN (conventional Western music notation) that are
significant in terms of making the music readable, strongly emphasizing
"classical" music. Also includes some non-notational features of music
like voice/part relationships and MIDI patches, plus analytic symbols,
e.g., for Schenkerian graphs; but the authors intentionally exclude
items that are largely relevant only to publishing like system and page
breaks. Most of the article is a long table of features, over 200 in 23
categories, with ratings of importance for academic musicians. This is
the only serious attempt I know of to systematically list CWMN symbols
for any purpose, with the possible exceptions of the recent and as yet
unpublished 'Dagstuhl core" and the lists implied in DTDs and schemas
for systems like MEI and MusicXML.'

Of the documents I mention, the MEI and MusicXML DTDs/schemas aren't
intended as lists of features, of course. Of the other two, I think the
Dagstuhl core is far too vague and incomplete to be a good starting
point. Forgive me for tooting my own horn yet again, but Eric and I put
a tremendous amount of work into our table, and I think it's the only
sensible starting point. There are areas it excludes, and many things
came up in Charlottesville that it doesn't include, so yes, it needs
expanding. It shouldn't be hard to add items from the the Dagstuhl
core; I've augmented Eleanor's list of examples correlated with it by
adding a column giving the equivalent Byrd & Isaacson item no. for
each, plus a column of comments. In my Examples folder, it's
MEI09_Exx+Byrd&Isaacson_vs_Dagsuhl_Core.xls . (The paper itself is
MusicRepReqForAcad1-09.doc .)

--Don

--
Donald Byrd