[MEI-L] Example: cautionary accidental

Craig Sapp craigsapp at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 00:53:38 CEST 2009

Hello MEI-example encoders,

Here is an example that would be useful to illustrate how
to encode cautionary accidentals.  These are accidentals
which are not required, but are provided as a courtesy to
the performer to make sight-reading easier.

The example on the left contains an e-flat at the end
of the second measure.  However, there was an E-natural
at the end of the previous measure.  Not placing the
flat in front of the second-measures E-flat is correct, but
can lead to the sight-reader to play the note as E-natural.
Therefore, it is common to add the flat sign to that note
to remind the performer that the note is E-flat rather than
E-natural.  It would be useful to see how each of these two
examples differ in an MEI encoding.

I have made a directory on collab called
    MEI Resources/Examples/craig/short
which will contain all of the examples I post to the mailing
list, along with the files I used to prepare the examples
(using SCORE to create EPS files, then I use Adobe
Illustrator to do any additional layout to prepare a final
PDF file which I also convert to a PNG image).  So, it might
be good to place the MEI encodings in this directory
structure as well so that the documentation writers can
extract the complete examples as needed.

-=+Craig