[MEI-L] <measure> questions: barline splitting a measure

Byrd, Donald A. donbyrd at indiana.edu
Wed Aug 12 03:59:48 CEST 2009

I have no particular opinion on Craig's first question, but w/r/t the
second, this is exactly why I like the idea of _pseudobarlines_; people
might recall my mentioning them in Charlottesville. The Byrd & Isaacson
music-representation specification paper (in the Uva Collab resources)
defines a pseudobarline as "A symbol that looks like a barline but does
not function as a measure delimiter. Such symbols include mid-measure
double barlines, repeat bars, and dotted barlines. The distinction is
important for, at a minimum, understanding rhythm and numbering
measures." My Nightingale score editor has pseudobarlines as well as
"real" barlines, and they've turned out to be very useful.

--Don