[mei-catalog-ig] stamps and paper notes

Dennis Ried ried-musikforschung at mail.de
Fri Dec 1 15:06:07 CET 2017

Dear List,

for my master thesis I tried to create a concept for a MEI based catalogue of works of an unkown german composer. Now for my PhD thesis I try to apply that idea.
I'm using the MEI header to collect all the metadata around the sources.

During the autopsy of the sources I noticed that there are a lot of stamps but there is no place in the MEI header where I can put it in the way I need it. At the moment I stored it at the <noteStmt> element as an annotation:

<notesStmt>
    <annot type="stamp" label="S" corresp="#ID-of-physMedium">L.B. Karlsruhe (1r)</annot>
</notesStmt>

(@label="S" -> at the moment: cardinal direction of the position on the paper)

Yes, this is a place where it can be I think but for example watermarks there exists an own element, so why not also for stamps?
The reason why I try to keep that information is that the stamps are important for research on the history of the source.

The same problem I have concerning paper notes (or paper marks? I'm sorry if this is not the best translation). These notes printed by the producer can for example help to date the sources so in my project I need to save them. Also for these notes I try to find a "better" place than <noteStmt>.

So my question is: Are there some ideas where to keep that kind of information?

One last comment: I know that there is an element in TEI (<tei:stamp>) I could implement but because I am describing musical sources I would like to check out all the possibilities of <meiHead> first.

Best regards
Dennis Ried