[mei-neumes-ig] Liquescent Signs with Two Pitches

Ichiro Fujinaga, Prof. ichiro.fujinaga at mcgill.ca
Sun Mar 3 18:26:21 CET 2024

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your patience.

Here is an encoding scheme that we (Anna de Bakker, Yinan Zhou, and I at McGill) came up with:

<neume>
      <nc pname="d" oct=“3” />
      <nc pname="a" oct=“3" >
            <liquescent/>
      </nc>
</neume>

What do you think?

Best,

Ichiro

On Jan 12, 2024, at 11:18 AM, Tim Eipert <tim.eipert at uni-wuerzburg.de> wrote:

Dear all,

I wish you a happy new year!

I have a question regarding Liquescents:
In the documentation, there are examples of cases that are clear to me:
A single symbol, which has a visual feature pointing in a certain direction (ascending/anti-clockwise or descending/clockwise strokes), and a pitch is specified for it. In Corpus Monodicum, this is encoded analogously, the Neume Component contains an element <liquescent>.

But how is it in cases like in the attached example? (First two symbols in modern notation, centered sign in manuscript example). Here the stroke of the sign is clearly pointing to a concrete pitch.
In the edition of Corpus Monodicum, this symbol is resolved into two note heads, i.e., two noted pitches, one of which is marked as part of a liquescent (and appears as a smaller note head).

How should the encoding be approached when two pitches are to be coded for one symbol?

Has anyone dealt with this case and have a suggestion for encoding?

Many thanks and best regards,
Tim Eipert

[corpusmonodicum_notation_liquescent_example.png][liqeuscent_example_manuscript.png]_______________________________________________
mei-neumes-ig mailing list