[mei-neumes-ig] Liquescent Signs with Two Pitches

Jeremy Llewellyn jeremy.llewellyn at univie.ac.at
Mon Jan 15 20:06:03 CET 2024

Dear Tim,

I echo Elaine's thanks for your message and good wishes for 2024 which I
heartily reciprocate.

I am not a programmer or computer expert. And I do not know how Corpus
Monodicum currently encodes <liquescent> that goes up, and <liquescent>
that goes down.

Perhaps other programmers have practical solutions. As a non-programmer,
I could imagine three pieces of information for a liquescence: (1)
liquescent (2) up OR down and (3) interval for up OR down. In the case
you give, it would be something like <liquescentU5> or 'liquescent up
the interval of a fifth'. The standard situation would be <liquescentU1>
or <liquescentD1>.

If you look on Corpus Monodicum for 'Hodie cantandus est' in Aa13 you
will see a great range of different intervals of liquescents. I do not
know how these are currently encoded. I can see, however, that the
editors have devoted considerable time to reproducing notational
subtleties in this manuscript.

I am sorry not to be of more help and wish you a speedy and practical
solution!

All best,

Jeremy

Am 15.01.2024 17:57, schrieb Elaine Stratton Hild:
> Dear Tim,
>
> Congratulations on a beautifully formulated question! I hope you are
> able to get some correspondingly clear feedback from the group.
>
> With all best wishes--I hope 2024 is starting well for you and yours,
>
> Elaine
>
> -------------------------

Dr. Jeremy Llewellyn MA, FRSA, ARCO
Chair, IMS study group _cantus planus_