[MEI-L] Representing syllables that span multiple staves (neume notation)

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at bodleian.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 23 08:23:52 CEST 2019

Hi Juliette,

In MEI there is a distinction between a 'staff' and a 'system'. A staff could be defined as the 'line' of performed music, while systems are simply the mechanism to fit a portion of a staff within a given width (a page, or a screen). A 'system begin' is encoded with the `<sb />` element, and this is a milestone element that can generally go anywhere in your encoding.

In the picture you sent I would say there is only one staff if we ignore the 'Dominus" bit up to the red line, and assume that the chant ends where your image ends, thus starting 'Et' and ending '-ne'. There are, however, two systems.

Although not wanting to say 'never' when notated music is concerned, it's highly unlikely that a syllable would cross two 'staff' elements, since this would mean a single syllable would be present across, say, a movement or section.

In Neume encoding specifically, the `syllable` element is different than the `syl` element in "standard" MEI. Syllable is a logical chunking of the content such that multiple neumes can be grouped on the same sung bit of text, while `syl` provides the specific text being sung.

So for your encoding I would say (roughly; neume and syl encoding abbreviated):

<section>
<staff n="1">
  <layer n="1">
    <syllable>
      <syl>Et</syl>
      <neume ... >
    </syllable>
    <syllable>au-
    <syllable>fe-
    <syllable>ret
      <sb />
    </syllable>
    <syllable>a
  </layer>
</staff>
</section>

To indicate the "system begin" on the new line you might then begin the next staff (just off the page in your image):

<section>
<staff n="1">
  <layer n="1">
    <sb />