[MEI-L] Invisible staves and content

Laurent Pugin lxpugin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 17:57:28 CEST 2018

On way to handle this is to use a <scoreDef> for indicating a change in a
system content. That is, if a system displays only a subset of the staves,
then you need to have a <scoreDef> with the desired <staffGrp> and
<staffDef>. One question is whereas we expect a <scoreDef> to have 1) only
the <staffGrp/<staffDef> that are visible, or 2) always all of them and
have a @visible="false" on the ones that needs to be hidden. Both are a
valid approach, I think.

So with :

<scoreDef meter.sym="common" key.sig="4s">
    <staffGrp barthru="false">
        <staffGrp barthru="true" symbol="bracket">
            <staffDef n="1" label="Flute" key.sig="4s" />
            <staffDef n="2" label="Oboe" key.sig="4s" />
            <staffDef n="3" label="Clarinet in Bb" key.sig="6s"
trans.semi="-2" trans.diat="-1" />
        </staffGrp>
        <staffGrp barthru="true" symbol="bracket">
            <staffDef n="4" label="Violin I" key.sig="4s" />
            <staffDef n="5" label="Violin II" key.sig="4s" />
            <staffDef n="6" label="Viola" key.sig="4s" />
            <staffDef n="7" label="Cello" key.sig="4s" />
        </staffGrp>
    </staffGrp>
</scoreDef>

We can then have when a system has only strings with 1):

<scoreDef>
    <staffGrp>
        <staffGrp>
            <staffDef n="4" />
            <staffDef n="5" />
            <staffDef n="6"  />
            <staffDef n="7"  />
        </staffGrp>
    </staffGrp>
</scoreDef>

Or with 2)

<scoreDef>
    <staffGrp>
        <staffGrp visible="false">
            <staffDef n="1" visible="false" />
            <staffDef n="2" visible="false" />
            <staffDef n="3" visible="false" />
        </staffGrp>
        <staffGrp>
            <staffDef n="4" />
            <staffDef n="5" />
            <staffDef n="6" />
            <staffDef n="7" />
        </staffGrp>
    </staffGrp>
</scoreDef>

With both cases we can also expect to have an empty <scoreDef> with no
<staffGrp>/<staffDef> children to be used but with a slightly different
meaning, typically for indicating a time signature or a key signature
change. Changing from C to C/ would be just

<scoreDef meter.sym="cut"/>

Now this become a bit tricky with transposing instrument when changing the
key signature because a key signature change cannot be specified globally.
With solution 1) then you cannot do:

<scoreDef key.sig="2s>
    <staffGrp>
        <staffGrp>
            <staffDef n="3" key.sig="4s" />
        </staffGrp>
    </staffGrp>
</scoreDef>

because this means that only the clarinet staff has to be shown. So I
assume that here you would need to either use @visible too, or to have two
consecutive <scoreDef>, one for the key signature change, and one for then
specifying the staves to be shown. So something like:

<scoreDef key.sig="2s>
    <staffGrp>
        <staffGrp>
            <staffDef n="3" key.sig="4s" />
        </staffGrp>
    </staffGrp>
</scoreDef>
<scoreDef>
    <staffGrp>
        <staffGrp>
            <staffDef n="4" />
            <staffDef n="5" />
            <staffDef n="6"  />
            <staffDef n="7"  />
        </staffGrp>
    </staffGrp>
</scoreDef>

Because of this maybe solution would actually more appropriate. Other
opinions / ideas?

Of course this is all for cases when the desired output is to render
encoded page and system breaks, and not for dynamic rendering. With dynamic
rendering, the content of the <scoreDef> for the part of the score rendered
in a system has to be calculated by the application. One option is to
dynamically hide staves that have only mRest in the corresponding scope.
Similarly, a staffGrp will be hidden when all staves are empty.

Laurent