[MEI-L] sounding vs. written pitch, <octave>

Roland, Perry D. (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Fri Mar 17 20:40:07 CET 2017

> But how you encode it, it's a fourteenth higher.

Ha!  You got me.  I was taken in hook, line, and sinker, by the boundary between octaves.

My clumsiness aside, I had hoped to demonstrate in a follow-up post that while the values in the *.ges attributes can reflect the result of applying the octave shift, they shouldn't.  Doing so results in a "double encoding" of the octave designation -- once in the <octave> element and again in @oct.ges.  If the <octave> element is altered or removed, then @oct.ges has to be recalculated.

With the correct markup, i.e.,

<note
   pname="c" oct="4"
   pname.ges="b" accid.ges="f" oct.ges="4"/>

or, since the transposition itself doesn't involve an octave shift and therefore, there's no change in the note-level specification of octave,

<note
   pname="c" oct="4"
   pname.ges="b" accid.ges="f"/>

adding an <octave> element, modifying it to be "15va", or removing it doesn't change the note-level markup.  This facilitates editing in a software editor.