[MEI-L] encoding orchestra cast with alternative instruments

Roland, Perry D. (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Wed Feb 1 17:00:57 CET 2017

A discussion happening in the MEI Github repo on the topic of encoding order influenced my suggestion here.  In this case, however, relying on encoding order inside <perfResList> may not be helpful.  So, at present you can use --

<perfResList xmlns="http://www.music-encoding.org/ns/mei" xmlns:svg="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
  <perfResList codedval="wb" count="3">
    <head>Oboes</head>
    <perfResList count="2" type="performer">
      <perfRes codedval="wb" solo="false">Oboe</perfRes>
      <perfResList type="substitution">
        <perfRes codedval="wz" solo="false" type="score">Oboe d'amore</perfRes>
        <perfRes codedval="wb" solo="false" type="substitute">Oboe</perfRes>
      </perfResList>
    </perfResList>
    <perfRes count="1" type="performer">
      <perfRes codedval="wb" solo="false">Oboe</perfRes>
      <perfRes codedval="wz" solo="false">Cor d'anglais</perfRes>
    </perfRes>
  </perfResList>
</perfResList>

which types the <perfRes> elements.  This should be sufficient for your needs, but won't be enforce-able across multiple projects.

A @substitute attribute is a good suggestion because it is more machine-processable than the ad hoc values of @type.  Naming it @substitutefor or @subfor would make the direction/meaning of the reference explicit.

BTW, the @solo attribute isn't necessary. One can assume that any performing resource not marked with @solo="true" is not a soloist.