[MEI-L] Introduction and engraving/typesetting considerations

Christopher Antila christopher at antila.ca
Sun Jul 6 00:20:12 CEST 2014

On Sat, 2014-07-05 at 13:21 +0200, Urs Liska wrote:
> thanks for these thoughts!
> I can't instantly judge all the implications but it seems there are many
> common aspects and intersections with my ideas. You are right that it
> seems like a *big* project, and there should be thorough discussion
> beforehand.
We would also probably learn a lot by trying out a variety of
approaches, then choosing between them. Between the three of us (Klaus,
you, and myself), we already envision three different strategies for an
mei2ly program, and that's a good thing.

> For example one should think about where such a thing could be placed
> best: as a standalone script, a module in Frescobaldi, a kind of
> "service" etc. (a cool interface could for example be a virtual file
> system, but that's just an un-educated shot in the dark).
No surprise, but I was thinking something along the lines of Git or
Mercurial.[1][2] In fact, because versions and versioning will certainly
play a central role in how this set of tool will work, we might consider
strong integration with one of those.

> But most importantly it has to be thought through how what you described
> with the example of score and parts can be made generic enough to
> accomodate the other MEI-related ideas of providing different views on
> an edition.
For LilyPond's purposes, the "broker" program could use git branches or
mercurial branches or bookmarks to negotiate changes between different
editions or versions encoded in the same MEI file. For example, a single
MEI file can hold both the 1915 and 1919 versions of Sibelius' fifth
symphony; the corresponding LilyPond files might be stored in different
branches.

In fact, these branches could be used to maintain the files
corresponding to all sorts of different "views." The "broker" could also
manage the files of other programs like MuseScore or an MEI-to-MusicXML
converter.

> I've taken the trigger to create a stub repository on Github
> (https://github.com/openlilylib/mei2ly) - you'll have been notified
> about that already, I suppose.
Thanks for pushing me in the deep end---it's the best way to get
started! I like your description of the four goals. At the moment it
seems we could target three of them: continuing development of Klaus's
mei2ly; starting an ly2mei program; and developing a simple "broker."
I'm particularly interested in the last program, since it's not like
anything I've done before. I'll start thinking about it and maybe post a
simple sample program to the repository.

Christopher

[1] http://www.aosabook.org/en/git.html
[2] http://www.aosabook.org/en/mercurial.html