[MEI-L] Proposals MEI Strategy Development Group

Johannes Kepper kepper at edirom.de
Wed Apr 2 15:45:40 CEST 2014

Dear community,

Thanks Benni for bringing this up. I hope everyone in the community recognizes the effort that went into the preparation of these proposals. The best reply by the community would now be a lively discussion. Thus, I encourage everyone to speak up. Do these proposals reflect your personal views on and hopes for MEI? If not, how could they be modified? What else would you like to see? Have they missed something?

MEI is a community project, and as such, it is up to the community to define the rules of it. It is certainly no one's intention to overregulate things, but last year in Mainz, we felt that there should be a more transparent model for MEI. Now is the time to discuss. There is no right or wrong, there are just arguments… I know that this is going to be hard work, but both the strategy group and the other interim group installed last year would really love to reach a consensus on this, instead of voting. This is only possible if we put all arguments out there. I'm sure someone will feed summaries of the Google Doc comments into the MEI-L discussion on a regular basis, but please use both channels to have a say on this.

We hope to reach a consensus before or at the conference (about seven weeks ahead). I hope this schedule keeps us all focussed, and we manage to set up simple and clear rules for the future organization of MEI.

Best,
Johannes (not the keeper, but the Kepper)