[MEI-L] physLoc & provenance

Axel Teich Geertinger atge at kb.dk
Thu Mar 29 13:28:08 CEST 2012

Hi all,

working with source metadata encodings, my colleague Sigge and I are wondering why <physLoc> and <provenance> are children of <physDesc>, not its siblings. From our point of view, the physical description of an item focuses on describing the object itself, i.e. its dimensions, the medium etc. independently of its location or history. Where it is located or who has owned it does not change the physical object in this sense (except that the circumstances may have left some physical traces on the object itself, of course, but that is hardly the point...).
What would be the arguments against moving <physLoc> and <provenance> out of <physDesc>?

All the best,
Axel