[MEI-L] symbol/symbolDef

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Sun Mar 18 20:04:46 CET 2012

Hi, Thomas,

The <symbolDef> element is intended to allow the inclusion of arbitrary symbols/signs.  Using <symbolDef>, one can say how a symbol should be drawn in terms of its graphic components; that is, text, curves, and lines. After defining the symbol's coordinate space (using @ulx, @uly, @lrx, and @lry), the <anchoredText>, <curve>, and <line> elements (with appropriate x, y, x2, and y2 attributes) can be used to construct the symbol.

The <symbol> element can then be used to make reference to this user-defined sign.

For example, one could define a new sign within <scoreDef> --

<scoreDef>
  <symbolTable>
    <symbolDef xml:id="mySign" ulx="0" uly="0" lrx="20" lry="20">
      <line x="10" y="0" x2="10" y2="10"/>
      <line x="10" y="10" x2="20" y2="10"/>
      <line x="20" y="10" x2="20" y2="20"/>
    </symbolDef>
  </symbolTable>
</scoreDef>

then later in the document data invoke this symbol --

<measure>
  <staff n="1">
    <layer>
      <note xml:id="n1" .../>
    </layer>
  </staff>
  <symbol ref="mySign"/>
</measure>

<symbolDef> may contain references to other <symbol> elements.  If a line of a certain length and style is a common component, it can be defined once and re-used.

The symbol can be placed relative to elements in the notation (using some combination of ho, vo , and to attributes) --

<symbol startid="n1" ho="5"/>

(This example indicates the symbol is placed at the same vertical position as, but 5 half-step units above, n1.)

<annot> can be used to record commentary on symbols just as it can with other elements of notation.  It's technically possible make a <symbolDef> element a target (using @plist), but I think <symbol> is the proper target.  In other words, <symbol> is a generic placeholder for an "unknown" notational sign.  <symbolDef> is "just" the instructions for drawing it.

Does that help?

Perry Roland
Music Library
University of Virginia