[MEI-L] trills within beams

Laurent Pugin laurent at music.mcgill.ca
Wed Mar 7 12:29:01 CET 2012

>I agree.  An "inputting environment" might want to offer the
> >convenience notation and extend them "automatically".  I don't know
> >whether this is a sensible suggestion, but what about moving
> >convenience features to a module of their own so they can easily be
> >enabled/disabled?  (Am I opening another can of worms?)

This seems to be over the top for me. I think we should take a decision and
I would vote for deprecating them. It does not have to be within 5 minutes,
but the earlier the better (10 minutes?). Once we will have tools relying
on them, we will have votes against deprecation, which does not seem to be
the case now - actually, I already use them but would not mind shutting up
if it can allow some simplification.

Now for the trill, I my understanding correct that we would expect this
encoding

<trill>
 <note />
 <note />
 <note />
</trill>

to be used for encoding the realization of the trill, and that

<note id="123" />
<trill startid="123" />

to be used for encoding the note (as written) with its ornament?

I guess one would rather (or also) use .ges attributes for encoding its
realization, but using the first one with only the written note seems
awkward to me because logically, I see a note with a trill and really not a
trill with a note. It is significantly different from a chord and from a
beam. Do we care about this?

Laurent