[MEI-L] ensemble

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Wed Oct 26 16:02:07 CEST 2011

Johannes,

<instrVoice> is required here in order to avoid a mixed content model in <ensemble> and to make the conversion from MARC to MEI easier.

It is true that one could use @label on <ensemble> to hold the name of the ensemble, however, this would disallow the possibility of using markup in the name and would be an abuse of @label, since it should not be used to capture "content", but rather a string that identifies the content.

For example, a document may contain "My name: Perry".  In this case, "My name:" is the label for the content "Perry".  The proper markup for this construct is

  <name label="My name:">Perry</name>
  NOT
  <name label="Perry"/>

By analogy, the markup for ensemble is