[MEI-L] Lessons from the turmoil in the TEI community

Johannes Kepper kepper at edirom.de
Mon Aug 22 20:28:35 CEST 2011

Hi Raffaele,

this discussion on TEI-L is indeed very interesting to follow, and I'm almost sure that the TEI will be something different after this incident. Regarding the situation for MEI, I think we're in a completely different position. In this context, MEI is much more straightforward than TEI. There are significantly less choices when building your encoding model – you will not discuss whether to encode a note as <note> or something else like a <fermata>. Terminology is on our side here. It is true that MEI offers lots of choices, for instance regarding articulations. But are they semantically that different? Choosing attributes gives you a quick (but not necessarily dirty) solution. When using the <artic> element, you have to decide if you want to attach it to a timestamp / beat or a note, which admittedly is a semantic difference, but other than that, I would argue that all three solutions address the same issue. They allow a different level of complexity, but there is no semantic difference between them. In my opinion, all differences of this kind can be addressed by what we're calling MEIron*, so I guess MEI can claim to be ready for interchange of music notation, at least from the CMN period.
Interoperability, as defined in those mails you cite, is surely a harder target to shoot at, but under certain conditions, I would say that MEI also solves that issue. I see bigger problems in MEI in those parts of the specification which are less strict defined / demand a higher level of modelling: The whole critapp and editorial modules are probably more project-specific, as is the header. For those areas, we will want to make sure to provide good documentation in the Guidelines, combined with a set of examples from our current projects as best-practice recommendations.

All in all, I don't see the same problems in the schema that TEI currently discusses. From an MEI perspective, I would say we may learn more from the policital / organizational debate there. But that's just my rather unreflected first impression. I guess you're right that we all should follow this more closely and think about the consequences for MEI.

Best,
Johannes