[MEI-L] clef as milestone element

TW zupftom at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 7 22:24:10 CEST 2011

2011/6/7 Laurent Pugin <laurent at music.mcgill.ca>:
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Johannes Kepper <kepper at edirom.de> wrote:
>>
>> Am 07.06.2011 um 11:03 schrieb Laurent Pugin:
>>
>> Although I have no example in mind currently, I'm pretty sure that I've seen multiple clefs on one staff for different voices (that is, layers).
>
> Yes, I am aware of such cases.

I think I've seen something similar to this:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/101/shiftedclef.png

(I made this up.)  I.e. strictly speaking wrong use of the F clef, but
the piano player immediately knows what's meant.  Should this be
covered?  If yes, should there be a clef/@line.ges attribute, and
should the restrictions on clef/@line be relaxed (i.e. integer instead
of positive integer in the range of the number of lines?

> It looks like a good solution to me. I would vote for <clef>, but
> <clefIndication> would be fine too. Maybe we can think of another
> @reason value. What about reason="sb"?

A fundamental question:  Why "sb" rather than "systembreak"?  I
personally prefer descriptive naming where you don't have to guess.
For example, I have no idea what note/@accid="tb" is meant to mean.
It's not documented either.  Of course one can add an explanation to
the documentation, but I find it much more accessible to have a
meaningful attribute or tag name in the first place.

Thomas