[MEI-L] Figured Bass in MEI

Benjamin Wolff Bohl bohl at edirom.de
Wed Apr 6 09:39:36 CEST 2011

Hi everybody!

Sorry for replying this late to Maja's and Johannes' proposal for
figured bass. Nonetheless, I greatly appreciate your initative in
tackling figured-bass in MEI Maja and Johannes!

Navigating in the space of possibilities between
> "very precise, interpretative and very loose, uninterpreted markup needs".
I think MEI is neither nor but tends to be of the first kind.
In terms of elementary parts of CMN (staff, measure, note...) MEI is
very precise,but in terms of additional (text-based) elements such as
figured-bass (so far encoded in <harm>) MEI allows FOR a rather loose
encoding. But each instance of <harm> already can be enriched by means
of references to a <chorddef> of parts of a facsimile.

The harm-chorddef concept an the possible child-nodes in harm and
chorddef seem to be designed for common chord-symbols or tabulature
renditions. Why not enhance it for FB needs? In a way offering a same
level of verbosity to all three "chord-types" and avoiding unbalanced
richness in favour of one of them.

Some qustions and possibilities:
1.) Should a FB be encoded as a chord giving semi-tone distances to a
root-note or is there another concept?
-- This would mean to translate FB-figures to common chord-symbols and
then encode it; as a result notes without a figure will not necessarily
be associated to the same <chorddef> as it could turn out to be either a
major or a minor triad.
-- If there were some kind of measurement-unit one could give in a
<chorddef>, let's say "PITCH_SCALE_STEP", same figures (be it in major
or minor scale) could be encoded as the same thing, for example in case
of a "8 3" or "5 3" figuring. A tiny drawback: For interpretational
purposes the current scale would have to be known.

2.) what is being encoded a source or an edition?
-- Should there be a difference?
-- MEI should allow both!
-- When encoding a source, you might want to put as much of the original
rendition into the code as possible. This might result in the need of
encoding every single FB individually (en contraire to my above idea).
We might think of a solution with @facs or similar, as (by now) you
cannot replace the original or a facsimile in all of it's aspects.

3.) Do I have to encode it verbose?
-- No. As <harm> should not be eliminated, loose markups are still possible.

It should be clear that MEI encodes music in an interpretative way
(other than DARMS - thank you Eleanor for the example). That is why it
should also encode FB as something else than mere strings and thus allow
logical access.

Sincerely,
Benjamin