[MEI-L] form & function

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Fri Mar 6 21:22:13 CET 2009

To librarians classification and description are different things and so shouldn't be comingled.  The original TEI header (that is, before the addition of msdesc) kept these separate, that is, in textClass and textDesc siblings within profileDesc.  This is the correct approach, in my opinion.  Unfortunately, textDesc was for description of the text in other than physical terms.

When msdesc was added, even though the physical description capabilities of TEI were minimal, I presume they were thought to be good enough for everything but manuscript material because a decision was made to concentrate on manuscript description, not on general physical description.

Instead, in MEI I've tried to provide facilities for general physical description much like in EAD (which, by the way, it seems to me that TEI also imitated while adding more complexity).

MEI's physdesc is analogous to TEI's msdesc element, not its physdesc element.  However, MEI's physdesc combines a number of things (again, more like EAD) that TEI parcels out into a more deeply-nested hierarchy.

To sum up,

1) it's not a good idea to mix classification and description;
2) if there is physical description information which MEI doesn't currently accommodate, the <physdesc> element is the place to put it;
3) EAD is a much better exemplar than TEI to imitate if more detail is needed.

--
perry

Perry Roland
Scholarly Resources