[MEI-L] <measure> questions: again, barline splitting a measure

Byrd, Donald A. donbyrd at indiana.edu
Thu Aug 13 02:42:52 CEST 2009

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:14:22 -0400, "Roland, Perry (pdr4h)"
<pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu> wrote:

> [ ---- SNIP ----]
>
>> A related question is: how do I indicate that a barline is actually
>> splitting a measure in half (due to a repeat-barline)?  I presume
>> it is best to store each half-bar in separate <measure> elements
>> (since otherwise they would overlap <section> elements), but
>> I would like to indicate that these two <measure> containers
>> are intended to make a single logical measure within the
>> time signature.  Using only complete="i" for both half-measure
>> is ambiguous with a sequence of two complete measures
>> which happen to be underfull.
>
> I see your point on this one. There are a couple of options here:
>
> 1. use @corresp to indicate that these measures "correspond" in some
> fashion. The definition of correspondence, however, is intentionally
> ambiguous.  Basically, it's any relationship at all.
>
> 2. On slur and phrase there is a "join" attribute that performs this
> very function -- joining 2 or more separately encoded slurs/phrases
> into a single logical one.  This is a special kind of correspondence
> that happens frequently enough with slurs and phrases to create a
> separate attribute.  We could add @join to measure.
>
> Fair enough?

No. So-called "repeat-barlines" sometimes coincide with real barlines;
sometimes they don't (and likewise for double bars). When they don't,
why pretend there's a barline at that point, then add an attribute to
say "oh, these aren't really separate measures", when you could just
not have a barline in the first place, just a mid-measure repeat with a
certain graphic appearance (or, for double bars, just the graphic)?
Instead of a barline, a symbol you might call, for example, a
_pseudobarline_! Then measure numbers and anything related to rhythm
would automatically come out right. Please see my message of yesterday
evening for more on the subject.

--DAB